- 4 oz glacé pineapple
- 6 oz red glacé cherries
- 6 oz green glacé cherries
- 4 oz crystallized ginger
- 4 oz sultanas
- 4 oz candied peel
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 9 oz Scottish butter
- 9 oz caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 12 oz plain flour sieved
- 4 oz walnuts, chopped
- Wash sugar coating from cherries, pineapple and ginger in warm water and then pat dry.
- Cut the cherries in half and coarsely chop the pineapple and ginger. Put in a bowl with sultanas and peel. Add brandy and leave to soak overnight.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Lightly mix eggs and then gradually beat into the creamed mixture a little at a time, adding some of the flour with the last few additions of egg.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the remaining flour and then the soaked fruit, with any liquid in the basin. Finally add the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 8 inch cake tin, level the mixture and then hollow out the center slightly. Bake at 300 F degrees (150 C) for approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes. Allow cake to cool in tin.