A simple but classic indivudual English cake.Print Rate
Servings: 6 people
- 225 g self-rising flour 8 oz
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice ground, optional
- 100 g butter 4 oz, soften the butter
- 75 g demerara sugar 2 oz
- 125 g mixed dried fruit 4 oz
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Lightly grease the baking sheet.
- Measure flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and dried fruit and mix to a stiff dough with the egg and milk, adding a little extra milk if the dough is too dry. If using a mixer, put everything in the bowl together
- Spoon the mixture in rough mounds on the baking sheet using two teaspoons. Sprinkle with a little demerara sugar.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, turning once, until just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Carefully lift off the baking sheet and leave to cool on a wire rack.
**Best eaten fresh. Makes about 15 cakes. These freeze really well and are great for packed lunches. Place one frozen in the packed lunch box and it will have thawed by the time you need to eat it.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 189mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 456IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 1mg