[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”Row”][et_pb_column type=”2_3″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid” saved_tabs=”all”]
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped pimento stuffed olives
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 raw egg
1 teaspoon water
8 oz plain flour
2 oz lard (or your choice of vegetable fat)
2 oz butter
Pinch of salt
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
- Heat the vegetable oil in a 10 inch skillet.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until the onion turns translucent. Add the ground beef, and brown for about 4 minutes, until beef is completely cooked.
3. Add the olives, raisins, garlic and season with salt. Stir to combine well, then remove from the heat and cool slightly.
4. Prepare the pastries to stuff: Put flour and salt in a bowl (I mix it up with a balloon whisk). Chop the lard and butter up and put into bowl. Use a blunt knife to cut the fats up even smaller. Use your fingers and rub the front and fats into each other to create breadcrumbs. Add cold water slowly, mixing with a fork, then our hand until it is a smooth ball of dough. It should hold together easily but not be sticky.
5. Flour your surface to roll out a each ball of dough into a circle. This ball should will easily fit in the palm of your hand before rolling out. Dampen the edges of dough with warm water. Place about 1 tablespoon of beef mixture into the center of each circle. Fold the dough over, forming a half-moon, sealing the edges completely and crimp the sides of dough.
6. Beat the egg to coat the empanada pastries on the baking sheet before going into the oven. Heat the oven to 350 F degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row admin_label=”Row”][et_pb_column type=”1_2″][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_2″][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]