- 1.5 tsp dried yeast
- 11 fl oz water warm to finer temperature
- 1 lb strong white flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast into about one third of the water. Leave for 5 minutes; stir to dissolve. In a large bowl Mix the flour and salt together . Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast water.
- Pour the remaining water into the center of the well. Mix in the flour from the sides of the well. Stir in the reserved water, as needed, to form a firm, moist dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth, shiny, and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise until doubled in size, about 1 ½ – 2 hours. Knock back, then leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a long loaf about 35 cm in length. Place the shaped loaf on a floured baking sheet and cover with a tea towel. Prove until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes. Turn the oven to 425°F/220°C
- Cut five diagonal slashes, each about ¼ in (5mm) deep, across the top of the loaf. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and hollow-surrounding when tapped underneath. Leave the baked bread to cool on a wire rack.
In the summer or a warm kitchen the bread will rise more quickly.
Calories: 1701kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 63g | Fat: 147g | Saturated Fat: 48g | Cholesterol: 302mg | Sodium: 1011mg | Potassium: 1949mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1275IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 226mg | Iron: 11.5mg